csadsa
  Station Road
Southminster
Essex CM0 7EW
  01621 773462
  southminsterrh@tiscali.co.uk
Care Quality Rating
 
Useful Links
Where We Are
 

Southminster is a small town in rural farmland about 3 miles to the North of Burnham on Crouch. In early times Southminster would have been a coastal site of firm ground in extensive marshlands. There have been a number of finds relating to roman occupation with the highlight being the discovery of a roman cremation vase at Caidge Farm on 1893.

In Saxon times the main landowner was the Bishop of London. The original main building of the Home was known as Hermitstone and at one time belonged to the Bishop of London. The main church for the area was sited at Southminster, probably on the site of the current St leonards church. The village name of South Minster related to this Minster church with the name south to differentiate between that church and the other Minster church - St Peter's at Bradwell on Sea.

The coming of the railway and the development of large scale gravel extraction further developed the importance of Southminster. By the twentieth century the growth and importance of Southminster waned at the growth of nearby Burnham on Crouch.

Find Us

Click here to see where we are in Google Maps and Google street scene